The SMART-E Program is announcing modifications to our registration process, enrollment capacity, and fee structure for care services in the 2018-2019 school year. The following FAQ’s are presented to provide information about what our families can expect.
Highlights of changes for the 2018-2019 School Year
- 5-day per week only, full year enrollment for after school care program
- Lottery system for placement in the after school care program
- Modifications in maximum capacity at each site
- Discontinuation of Arroyo Morning Care and SMART-E Central After School Clubs
- Increase in fees for after school care and K Play
- Discontinuation of daily after school care option
- Discontinuation of walk-in option for after school care, morning care, and K Play
- Why is it necessary to make changes to the SMART-E Program?
Staff conducted an evaluation of current operations at each of the seven (7) SMART-E Programs. Particular attention was paid to those programs most impacted by the delay of the Mariposa Upper Elementary School opening – SMART-E Arundel and SMART-E Heather. It was necessary to identify operational efficiencies in order to achieve a sustainable, quality care program. Student safety and program quality remain priority factors in deciding maximum enrollment.
Based on staff research and enrollment projections, the challenges of facility and staffing constraints were presented to the Board at the February 15th meeting. Staff responded to board requests, and shared revised recommendations to the Board of Trustees on March 8, 2018. Click here to see the Board discussion on March 8, 2018. (SMART-E discussion at approx. 2:44:34 on the video)
- What is the process for the After School Care Lottery?
(1) Families who want full-time, 5-days per week after school care for the entire school year at their home school will enter the lottery by submitting an online Lottery Entry Form beginning Tuesday, March 27, 2018.
(2a) Lottery system for placement will be based on family need (e.g. if your family is selected in the lottery, all children in your home who need after school care will be placed*). Please see item 2b for an update and modification to this policy.
(2b) *As of 4.20.2018. Update to lottery system placement for families with elementary school and upper elementary and/or middle school siblings. We prioritized placements at the elementary schools as these sites had the highest number of lottery entries and are most impacted by capacity.
– If the elementary student in the family was selected, then all siblings were placed at their respective schools as per 2a.
– *If the elementary student in the family was NOT selected, the elementary student was placed on the waitlist at his/her home school. Rather than immediately placing the older siblings on their home school waitlists, we allowed the upper elementary and/or middle school sibling to participate in their respective school lottery. We found, based on the number of lottery entries and capacities at the upper elementary and middle schools, that we could most likely accommodate these older students. However, if the upper elementary and/or middle school sibling was selected at his/her school, we could not, in turn, place the elementary student who was not selected in his/her home school lottery. While our intention was to place the entire family, we made this modification to the process in order to accommodate as many students as possible district-wide.
(3) Lottery entries will be accepted from Tuesday, March 27 until Tuesday, April 17, 2018. The Lottery will close at 9:00 am on Tuesday, April 17, 2018. No entries will be accepted after this time.
(4) The lottery selection will begin on Wednesday, April 18, 2018 at 9:00 am.
(5) Selected families will be contacted beginning Wednesday, April 18. Families will be contacted via the information provided on their Lottery Entry Form (phone and email).
(6) Once you have been selected, a non-refundable, pre-registration fee of $100 (per family) must be paid to confirm your space. The fee will be paid online via the ActiveNet link sent to the email address provided on your Lottery Entry Form. Families must respond within 48 hours of receiving our notification to secure their space. If your pre-registration fee is not received, you will lose your after school care space. This fee is in addition to your fees for care.
(7) A Wait List will be maintained for families who are not selected in the lottery.
(8) Waitlisted families will be contacted beginning Monday April 23, and offered spaces at their home school or other schools, if available. Waitlisted families have 48 hours to confirm their commitment via paid pre-registration fee.
(9) Families who have committed to our SMART-E After School Program, by paying the $100 pre-registration fee, must submit their first payment of $570 by June 1, 2018. A link will be sent to these families by mid-May. The payments will be monthly beginning August 2018 and completed April 2019.
- Do I need to participate in the lottery even if my home school had plenty of space this year at SMART-E After School Care?
Yes. All families who need after school care in 2018-2019 school year must participate in the lottery. If you did not participate in the lottery or missed the lottery deadline and wish to be considered for after school care, you may be added to the SMART-E “Interest List” for SMART-E after school care in 2018-2019. If a space becomes available, the SMART-E Business Office will contact you. If you accept the space, you will be required to pay the $100 non-refundable pre-registration fee and the monthly tuition fee.
- Is SCSD Staff required to participate in the After School Care Lottery?
No. SCSD staffs with children are given priority placement.
- Do I need to participate in a lottery if I only need Morning Care? K Play?
No. There is no lottery for placement in our morning care or K Play programs.
- Is transportation provided if I am offered after school care at another SMART-E site?
No. Unfortunately, we are not able to provide transportation from your home school to another SMART-E site.
- Will I be able to purchase individual after school care days after the lottery closes?
No. After School Care is being offered only for full-time, 5-day per week care during the 2018-2019 school year. “Open registration” for individual days of after school care will not be offered in 2018-2019.
- Why are you implementing a lottery system for after school care placement?
We worked diligently to find the most equitable, transparent manner to allocate after school care spaces to families. Running a lottery is a common method for placement in preschool, school, after school programs.
- Will the lottery, pre-registration fee, and the maximum enrollment capacities continue in 2019-2020 School Year and beyond?
At this time, the lottery is for the 2018-2019 school year. What we are implementing is applicable to the 2018-2019 school year; there are several factors to be considered including facility availability. We plan to re-evaluate these policies, and will communicate any modifications during the upcoming school year.
- Can I send my child as a “walk-in” to morning care, after school care, or K Play in the afternoon?
No. We have discontinued this option for all of our care services.
- What is the after school care enrollment capacity at my school?
- Arroyo: 60 students
- Arundel: 60 students
- Brittan Acres: 60 students
- Heather: 80 students
- Mariposa (at TL campus): 30 students
- Tierra Linda: 40 students
- White Oaks: 30 students
- CMS: 0 students. Program will close in 2018-2019
- Why are you discontinuing Arroyo Morning Care and the SMART-E After School Clubs?
Unfortunately, we had low enrollment in Arroyo Morning Care, and low participation in the CMS After School Clubs for consecutive years.
- What are 2018-2019 fees?
- Pre-registration fee. A non-refundable pre-registration fee of $100 per family is required in order to purchase morning care, K Play, and/or after school care (family must be selected via lottery for after school care). This fee is applied to any or all care services. It is in addition to your fees for care.
- After School Care is as a 5-day per week, full year program. $570 per month for 9 months. The first payment of $570 was due in June, 2018. The next payments will be charged automatically monthly and will be due starting September 5, 2018 and completed by April 5, 2019. The $570 payment is based on an average of care days throughout the year, divided into 9 equal payments. Payments are non-refundable. Thirty days notice is required for cancellation.
- Morning Care can be purchased daily ($15/day) or monthly for 5 days per week ($170/month).
- K Play in the afternoon can be purchased daily ($15/day) or monthly for 5 days per week ($170/month).
- Why are you increasing fees?
We have not increased fees since 2012-2013 school year. In our research, we found that we are below the standard after school care rates in this area. Our costs, including staff benefit costs, have increased incrementally in 5 years.
- Are you offering the Morning Care Pass?
No. We have discontinued the Morning Care Pass option. You may purchase morning care on a daily basis, or on a monthly basis if you need 5-days per week care each month.
- Do I need to pay the pre-registration fee if I only need Morning Care?
Yes. Families that need morning care only are asked to pay the $100 non-refundable pre-registration fee. To pay the pre-registration fee, go the SMART-E website and click on “pre-registration fee” (available on August 1, 2018). You may pay the pre-registration fee at any time during the school year in order to purchase morning care. If you have already paid the pre-registration fee for another care service, such as K Play or After School Care, you do not need to pay the pre-registration fee again. Enrollment to purchase care days opens August 1, 2018. This fee is in addition to your fees for care.
- Do I need to pay the pre-registration fee if I only need K Play?
Yes. Families that need K Play are asked to pay the $100 non-refundable pre-registration fee. To pay the pre-registration fee, go the SMART-E website and click on “pre-registration fee” (available on August 1, 2018). You may pay the pre-registration fee at any time during the school year in order to purchase K Play. If you have already paid the pre-registration fee for another care service, such as Morning Care or After School Care, you do not need to pay the pre-registration fee again. Enrollment to purchase care days opens on August 1, 2018. This fee is in addition to your fees for care.
18. I do not know if my child is an early bird or late bird right now, or I don’t know if I will need K Play? Do I need to pay the pre-registration fee now?
No. You may pay the pre-registration fee at any time during the school year in order to purchase morning care or K Play.
19. Will you offer a sibling discount?
Yes. We will continue to offer a 5% multi-sibling discount for any of our care services (morning care, after school care, K Play), this does not include enrichment classes or vendor camps. Parents/Guardians must notify the business office in order to be issued a discount code.
20. Will you offer scholarships?
Yes. We will continue to offer scholarships. Scholarship applications are available through the SMART-E Business Office. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 650.590.5966.